Summer is finally here and the temperatures are rising; it is important to be safe, smart and aware of how you and your co-workers are feeling in the extreme heat. Heat stroke and heat exhaustion are the most serious health illnesses caused by hot environments and a danger for people who work outside. Below are some warning signs and prevention of overheating and keeping your body cool this summer.
Many heat stroke victims usually don’t recognize their own symptoms; therefore it is important for co-workers be able to detect the warning signs in order to seek first aid and medical help.
Warning Signs can include the following:
- Heavy Sweating
- Visual Disturbance
- Intense Thirst
- Muscle Cramps
- Numbness of the hands and feet
How to prevent overheating:
- Avoid Sun Exposure – Take frequent breaks in the shade or if possible erect a temporary shelter that is cool and well-ventilated that keeps you out of the sun and heat.
- Stay Hydrated – Drink water (about 1 liter every hour) or drink something with electrolytes (Gatorade, PowerAde, etc.) No caffeine or alcohol, as these will dehydrate you.
- Sweat – Don’t be afraid to sweat, since this is your body’s most effective cooling mechanism
- Clothing – To protect yourself from the sun and heat it is important that you cover up as much of your body as possible with loose fitting clothes made of light fabric that “breathes”. Also wear a hat and protective eyewear to protect your body from the sun’s harmful rays.
- Acclimate – It is important to build up a level of tolerance when working in the heat. This can be done with training and work practices.
Heat Index Risk Level Protective Measures
Less than 91°F Lower (Caution) Basic heat safety and planning
91°F to 103°F Moderate Implement precautions and heighten awareness
103°F to 115°F High Additional precautions to protect workers
Greater than 115°F Very High to Extreme Triggers even more aggressive protective measures
It is important for employers and employees to plan for an emergency and know what to do, because acting quickly can save lives.
The Metal Store is Oklahoma’s premier manufacturer of quality metal roofing, metal building trims and sub-structural components.