Cold winter months do not have to put your finances out in the cold! There are several things you can do to prepare for the chilly months that will make a huge difference in your energy bills and save you money for all of the upcoming holiday festivities.
- Sun is Free– Use the sun to heat your house on a cold winter day, open the curtains during the day and close them to trap in the heat when the sun goes down. This is a simple and free step to warm your home.
- Layers– During the cold months make sure and bundle up and wear socks, slippers, cardigans and scarfs! Instead of turning the heat up get cozy with blankets and even wear a hat to keep the heat from escaping your head.
- Don’t Overuse Exhaust Fans-Did you know that using exhaust fans in your kitchen and bathrooms actually pulls the hot air to the ceiling and the heat escapes. Only use exhaust fans when you really need them and then turn them right off.
- Outdoor Lights– When decorating your house for the holidays make sure and use LED lights. LED lights use 75% less energy and last 25% longer than incandescent lighting. Not only do LED lights save energy, they also emit less heat and do not break as easy.
- Insulate– Make sure your house is insulated around doors, windows and pipes. It is an inexpensive way to lower your energy costs by keeping the heat from escaping in the winter and the cold air from escaping in the summer.
- Humidifier-It is important for you to have a humidifier in your home. The cold air can make the air inside become very dry. By having moist air in your home, it will make your air feel warmer and it holds in heat better. It will also help with your breathing and keep you from getting sick.
- Necessary Rooms– Only heat the rooms that you use on a day to day basis. By closing or sealing the vents to unused rooms you can save tons of money, and it will not affect your warmth.
- Adjust Thermostat– When you go to bed at night turn your thermostat down 10 to 15 degrees while you are asleep. You can wear extra clothes, use flannel sheets and use extra blankets. By doing this, you will save around 10% on your heating bills.
- Ceiling Fans– I know it sounds like this would not help with the heat, however if you use a ceiling fan your home you will have better ventilation and be more energy efficient in both the summer and winter months. By setting your ceiling fans clockwise, the hot air will become trapped and heat the inside to keep your rooms warm during the colder months.
These are simple steps you can take that will not only save you money, but keep you warm during the frigid months ahead!